Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Wed Feb 19, 2003  9:00 pm
Subject:  barbershop singing

Les wrote:

> Anyway, in recent years it seems that more mainline singing
> technique seems to be slowly creeping in to Barbershop. I think it's
> a very good thing.

+++It's not creeping, it's rushing in -- at least in Sweet Adelines!

> When I directed a Barbershop chorus, I tried to
> get them to learn a more mainline and vocally healthy technique with
> no nasality, no straight-tone singing and a nice full sound to the
> singing.

+++This is certainly the goal of today's barbershop singing.

> A lot of the old timers have some pretty screwy ideas about
> all that stuff but the young ones know better.

+++Lots of the older singers want to learn better, but, as we know, habits of a
lifetime are difficult to overcome. But they are trying!

+++Since more and more trained musicians are becoming barbershoppers, standards
are rising daily. It's an exciting time to be a barbershopper!

> ---
> Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
> Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
> 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
> 901-843-3782; fax 843-3789
> dclark@r... http://www.rhodes.edu