Vocalist.org archive

From:  Clark_Diane <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Mon Jan 27, 2003  8:03 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: The Language of singing

"modulate 58" (Do you have a name?) wrote:

> As teachers, we emphasize pure vowels and perfect pitch as the very
> definition of bel canto. "You can't have one without the other." I
> would like to hear how others approach the issue of improving voices
> when neither intonation, nor vowel quality, nor ideal resonance is
> present, the "walking wounded", vocally speaking. This is hard to
> address in writing but if anyone wants to give it a shot, I'd be
> interested. Talking about the disaster voice might be a good way to
> get at how to work with the so-called "talented."

First of all, I would not use the term "disaster voices." Second, I start with
each student where he or she is. If he can't match pitches and has little or no
ear/voice coordination, we begin by trying to get some of that going. Pure
vowels are the least of our worries at that point! Baby steps first, then more
refined ones.

---
Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Dept. of Music, Rhodes College
2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112
901-843-3782; fax 843-3789
dclark@r... http://www.rhodes.edu