Vocalist.org archive

From:  James <bandb@n...>
Date:  Thu Jan 16, 2003  10:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Advice needed

At 02:29 PM 16/01/03 -0800, you wrote:

> John Link <johnlink@n...> wrote:
>> He explained that once you learn classical you can sing anything.
>

>imagine a caricature of an opera singer doing "Happy Birthday" or
>Paul McCartney's "Yesterday" or any rock song that you'd like to
>perform. Can it get any worse?
>
>I think that once you learn to sing well you can learn to apply your
>skills to any type of music. Find yourself a teacher who is open to

>John Link
>
>That's exactly my point. I don't want to learn classical type singing
because I don't want to develop the habit of singing like that then haveing
to break that habit to sing another style. For some reason habits stick to
me, i.e. I wanted to learn to sing/scream like Chester from Linkin Park, so
I did, took about a month but I can now do it (of course not with his
voice), however now anytime I try to scream (for songs) it comes out like
Chester's with that growliness and I can't stop it argggg..... And that's
pretty much why I want to find a teacher who can teach me more with rock,
or at least know rock himself, but unfortunately I know not where to find
him, sigh.

>Paul

from Reg....
I think Lloyd has often made the point that when a
singer "makes a song his own" by singing it in his
particular style (Frank Sinatra... Bing etc) it becomes
difficult for the audience to accept it in any other style.

I would hazard a guess that most people are well
accustomed to having heard "Happy Birthday" sung in
all sorts of drawls, drunken states and sweetly.
Which do you suggest is the valid performance? :)

I accept them all. Reg.

emusic.com