Vocalist.org archive

From:  GWendel Yee <gwyee@r...>
Date:  Thu Jan 9, 2003  3:35 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] From Baritone to Tenor and Back Again!

At 05:41 PM 1/8/03 -0000, singingprofumd <Lynn_Marvin@h...> wrote:
>... However, I continued to
>have problems because I simply was not comfortable singing in
>the tenor range for long periods of time..... In the last few weeks, I
have decided--on my own--to
>start looking at the baritone rep again. I have been singing
>Mozart and Donizetti arias for baritone. It feels great. .... I think I
have finally found my vocal
>home-AGAIN. But the question remains: "Am I treading on
>dangerous waters? Should I simply stick to what I know?" I
>invite your feedback.

Dear Prof. Marvin,

Personally, I don't think you are risking much to switch from tenor
to lyric baritone. There's not much difference. You may find that you
occasionally miss zzinging out one of those really tenorish high notes,
though. And if indeed you do have a large voice, you may well have decent
low notes (ie., full). The music director of one of our symphony chorus
used to make his living as a tenor, but now bills himself as a bass-baritone
in the small vocal ensemble with which he currently performs. To listen to
him sing, however, is another matter. Using what sounds like strohbass
technique, he does have low notes, but the timbre of his voice still betrays
him as "dramatic tenor" (IMO). So, if it's comfortable and sounds good, go
for it!

GWendel, tenor

emusic.com