Vocalist.org archive

From:  James <bandb@n...>
Date:  Thu Dec 19, 2002  9:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] iron & irony

Ah but Naomi I believe you also have a problem
with the linguistics of "gaol" "buoy " and "forehead".
I protest that they, and "irony," are in fact
related by the common alphabet and the associated
sounds. Now you compare tote and total.
Both pronounced the same as "tote" and I'd love to
hear how you pronounce anecdote. :)

Your "Boo..ee" alone, for "Buoy" (boy), causes
great mirth the world over. :) Reg.

>>Not to mention the fact that..IRONY..or IRONIC are
>>pronounced eye.ron.ee and eye..ron..ick. In Oz anyway. :)
>
>Ah yes, but iron and irony are not linguistically related, despite so
>many shared letters. Thus their pronunciations should not be
>expected to match. (Compare tot and total.) : )
>
>Your nitpicky correspondent,
>Naomi

emusic.com