Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Sat Dec 7, 2002  8:10 pm
Subject:  Rod Stewart's Crossover

Did anyone else catch Rod Stewart's concert last night on television?
I had seen advertising about him singing the American songbook
(standards) and thought that I would probably not like what he did.
Boy was I wrong! Dressed in tails, out in front of a band that
included quite a few strings, Rod sang one standard after another
with great rhythm and phrasing and swing and intonation. He's in his
fifties and still moves well and has a great time on stage, even when
singing songs for which I never would have guessed that he would have
any feeling at all. I consider him to have accomplished a fabulously
successful crossover.

Yes, I'm talking about the same guy who sang Maggie May with that
raspy voice and funny-looking hair. His vocal production is obviously
not to be emulated and I suspect that his raspy sound is the result
of much abuse, but what a great job he did.

John Link

http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink
Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink (John Link Vocal Quintet)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21334 Re: Rod Stewart's CrossoverChristine Thomas mezzoid Sat  12/7/2002

emusic.com