Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Wed Dec 4, 2002  6:11 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

Randy,

Thanks for your reply. I agree that that it is important to get the correct
muscles of adduction working (and working well), and that other muscles
outside the larynx relax. I also agree that a slightly lowered and stable
larynx is important in the process. As you mentioned, a lower larynx is
associated with better adduction. I found an article by P Körkkö, published
in the Journal of Voice in June 1998, that has the following in its
introduction:

function. As a high vertical larynx position is often seen in
hyperfunctional and strained voices, a lowering of a habitually elevated
larynx is sometimes a specific goal in clinical voice therapy and different
larynx-lowering exercises are used to achieve this goal. Earlier
investigations have shown that pitch and to some extent also vocal loudness
are relevant to vertical larynx position. In the present investigation, we
examine if lung volume affects vertical larynx position. Using a
multi-channel electroglottograph, the larynx position was measured in 29
healthy, vocally untrained subjects, who phonated at different lung volumes,
pitches, and degrees of vocal loudness. The main results were that high lung
volume was clearly associated with a lower larynx position as compared to
low lung volume.

Me again:

So, it seems to me that if a lowered larynx is useful (in that it encourages
better adduction), and higher lung volumes encourage a lower larynx, then it
might be a useful way to achieve that goal. In fact, many studios address
laryngeal position through their breathing drills (as you inhale, the throat
relaxes and the larynx lowers). I have found that some of my singers have
more success at relaxing the supra-laryngeal muscles when they focus on
their breathing, especially when they think about keeping the rib cage
elevated (more of an inhalation posture) during exhalation.

Thanks for this dialogue. It helps me to focus my thoughts, and makes me
rethink my assumptions.

David Grogan
Longview, Texas