Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Mon Nov 18, 2002  2:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] versatility

In a message dated 11/18/2002 7:26:44 AM Central Standard Time,
dalila@R... writes:

> This is a really good question, and one I suspect would be answered
> differently by classical singing fans and pop singing fans. The only
> people I've heard praise Dawn Upshaw's pop singing are classical singing
> fans. I've never actually met a pop music fan who though much (or at all)
> of Upshaw as a pop singer.

I play Upshaw as an example for student's all the time to show them what the
upper mix coming out of raw chest (a la there are no trumpets) sounds like
... they love it. When I tell them she's an opera singer they don't believe
it because the bottom of her voice is so different. Because she comes out of
raw chest on the bottom, the sound in the mix and head voice is different.
Upshaw really should do a Broadway production, her career would go through
the roof.

I'm not a big Ute Lemper fan, too much of a wobble in the voice at times, but
she has pure pop records out there (kind of technoish, europop stuff) ...
they're OK.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com