Vocalist.org archive

From:  "EdgewoodVoiceStudio" <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>
Date:  Mon Oct 21, 2002  4:19 am
Subject:  vocal hoarseness update

Hi Everyone,
Well, I tried not singing much during lessons the last week and a half
and I wasn't able to keep quiet entirely, But... this week I got the
worst cold/flu that anyone could imagine, and this has happened before,
by today (day 3 of cold/flu) my voice is CLEAR even though I'm as
congested as can be and I feel awful. This has happened before when
I've gotten colds. It's as if something sits in my vocal folds and when
I get a bad cold it moves up into my sinuses and my voice is clear but
my energy is low and I feel bad, but I can sing. When the cold is gone
it goes back down. Does this make any sense at all to Dr's on this
list? What can I do to keep this stuff off my vocal folds? But,
because I was so sick yesterday I cancelled 8, 30 minute lessons that I
normally teach on Saturdays. I'm thinking the swelling on my cords
might have gone down because of the cold AND because I didn't teach at
all Saturday... I was still hoarse Saturday (even worse because I had
stayed up all night sewing a costume for the 3rd of the 3 ladies).. I
had students singing the 3 ladies trio from the opening of the Magic
Flute for 500 (a music teacher group put this together... piano teachers
are so organized!) parents and kids.. My students did really well! (the
piano students weren't as good).. I couldn't get a serpent put together
in time so we made the monster be a cow ( I already had a costume)... it
went over really well.. ha! The cow moo'd during the rests of Tamino's
opening solo)... but today, even though I had had no sleep since 8am
Friday morning ( I finally got to sleep by 1am Sunday morning).. my
voice was clear through the middle register, but I had this raging head
cold...!
Now I've had a glass of Riesling and a 4 hour nap I feel really good...
!
Deanna The Small Town Voice Teacher

---

emusic.com