Vocalist.org archive

From:  "kimvox1" <kimvox1@y...>
Date:  Thu Oct 17, 2002  2:34 am
Subject:  new here, with a jaw tension quandry...please help!

Hey all, wanted to run this past you to see if you had any ideas
about what the heck is going on with my facial muscles.

First off, let me say that I'm a soprano, and I have to fly to
Chicago for an audition next week. Therefore, I may be a bit
paranoid with what's going on, but I gotta tell ya, it's scary to me.

For about 5 days now I've had headaches and major jaw muscle tension,
primarily on my left side. It feels tense all the time, like the
muscles are squeezing and won't let go. There's a bit of it going on
on the right side, but I think it's residual for my jaw not being
able to relax properly. Yesterday and today, my left cheek has been
swollen.

When I get in there and feel the muscle, it feels tight, like the way
a knot in your back might feel. Sometimes I feel a knot there, just
below my cheek bone or down and to the back, like around my upper
molars.

I'm able to open my mouth, but not to the point where I was able to
just 5 days ago. It gets irritated if I do that (opening my mouth
wide to sing a high note, yawn, etc) and tenses up even more. It's
painful and annoying.

I also had a cold/viral thing last week, with scratchy hot pain in my
right ear and upper throat. Not sure if that's realted, but I thought
I'd include it. I feel much better this week with regards to that.
i saw the doctor today, but they attributed my cheek swelling to
residual sinus drainage and said to take Afrin. Sigh.

I've seen my dentist, and she thinks it's from clenching my teeth. I
have a mouthguard, but got it on Monday, 2 days after the pain
started. I find it hard to believe that the muscle tension would come
on so suddenly like this!

I wake up feeling OK; it takes about 2 hours for the pain and tension
to start and then it gets worse as the day goes on.
It feels like the spasms your facial muscles have after getting your
wisdom teeth out...except I had mine out in February!

Does anyone have any insight, ideas, etc? I've had no exrays, MRIs
etc. Just the doctor and dentist telling me squat.

Please help! And I'm sorry to post my first post with a problem!

Thanks,

Kim

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20562 OFF: Temporarily OverwhelmedKaren Mercedes   Fri  10/18/2002
20565 Re: new here, with a jaw tension quandry...please help!sopran@a...   Fri  10/18/2002
20566 Re: new here, with a jaw tension quandry...please help!buzzcen@a... buzzcen2000 Fri  10/18/2002
20567 Re: new here, with a jaw tension quandry...please help!sopran@a...   Fri  10/18/2002
20577 Re: new here, with a jaw tension quandry...please help!kimvox1 kimvox1 Sat  10/19/2002
20568 Re: new here, with a jaw tension quandry...please help!buzzcen@a... buzzcen2000 Fri  10/18/2002
20573 Re: new here, with a jaw tension quandry...please help!sopran@a...   Sat  10/19/2002
20575 Re: new here, with a jaw tension quandry...please help!buzzcen@a... buzzcen2000 Sat  10/19/2002
20578 Re: new here, with a jaw tension quandry...please help!vintageconnection vintageconnection Sat  10/19/2002

emusic.com