Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison"<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Tue Oct 8, 2002  1:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Conservatory training

I didn't answer your question o the list, because I thought you'd think my
answer is too simplistic:
You know you're "conservatory material" if you audition for a conservatory and
they accept you.

I think colleges and conservatories are looking for singers with a good vocal
instrument, and good basic musical ability. Someone who'll benefit from what
they have to offer.

I'd say the better question for someone like yourself to ask is not "Am I
conservatory material?" but "Can this school give me what I need to help me
reach my goals?"

And the answer would come via the same sort of research one would do in
considering whether to attend any institution of higher education. Research
the school on the web, visit the school, talk to students and graduates. If
you narrow your question to a specific school or two you're interested in
attending, I'm sure someone on the list can provide information about it.

Peggy

On Mon, 07 Oct 2002 19:56:45 -0000 singingfan <singfan@m...> wrote:

> no one has anything to say on the topic??
> I am purely curious about it. It is always
> talked about in such a
> foreign way.
>

> > How does one know that they are conservatory
> material? I understand that you have to be dedicated to your instrument and
know that it
> is something that you dedicate yourself to. But
> how would one know that they are ready for or even should try attending a
conservatory for
> undergraduate study? Is it strictly for child
> prodigies? Are there any sure signs that one would be ready for such a
rigorous program of
> studies? And how common is it for students to
> last through all four years of study? Is there a relatively high dropout
rate after a year or so? I'm very curious about these schools... Any info
would be appreciated.

emusic.com