Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Mon Sep 30, 2002  5:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Trouble Expressing Emotion (was Looking for Ideas)

In a message dated 9/28/02 11:29:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
magner@l... writes:

> I would like to suggest a different problem may be at the core of this. I
> often work with older singers who return or start lessons 'after-college'
> age. I have found for those who have trouble expressing that there is a lot
> of baggage they carry from the earlier decades of their lives

Wow. I have never thought about it this way, but this makes mega sense. I
started voice lessons when I was 40--but since I had always done a lot of
church/community singing and acting the expression wasn't a problem for me,
but I see it in others, and I believe the age thing has a good bit to do with
it. I know I fought a lot of "why are you doing this, you can already sing"
from friends and family. I have sometimes felt kind of silly spending the
time and money that I spend on this when I will never have a career. (let me
say that I did some figuring and GOLF costs more than music and don't think
my hubby will ever be on the tour....). I think that when you are older and
have family and financial responsibilities it is sometimes harder to "get
into it." E.g., when elderly family members are sick, it is not the college
age or young career age who take care of them. It is the middle agers, who
then don't really feel like singing at their lesson.....

I am probably rambling, but I think this is a point to consider when dealing
with us older folks who decide, for whatever reason, to pursue this craft.

Leslie

emusic.com