Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Sat Sep 14, 2002  3:31 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] RE: losing weight and the voice

As the original poster of this thread, I appreciate all the opinions and
information that you all have shared. I wanted to report to the group
that I have been working all week to "re-integrate" how things work in
the breath management and support areas, and I have fairly successfully
gotten things readjusted. We rehearsed the Strauss piece, along with
others, today, and I was able to get through the long, high VERY
sustained phrases almost as well as I could before losing the weight, it
just feels somewhat different and I have to think about it in a
different way to get it to work. I hope to continue this progress
between now and performance so that I can work even more freedom and
beauty into the high notes, but I'm very happy with the progress.

It certainly helped that I am myself a teacher, so that I could assess
my own difficulties, and that I have a very clear kinesthetic concept of
what my body should do to sing well, but I wanted to mention that
another thing which seemed to help was going back to an aria I had done
as I was first learning how to achieve floating high support. The
memories (muscle and conceptual) of how I had approached this aria
really helped speed up the
reorientation process for me.

Thanks again,
Sharon Szymanski