Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sun Sep 8, 2002  11:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] "Muscle Memory"

Kerena I sympathise with you. The guts of the intention is so
often lost in these inputs while analysis of the detail is used to
fog the whole subject.
No doubt this is why most of the singing world,
other than in the US, does not submerge itself in the
understanding of muscle processes but deals only with the results.
I'm sure there is a middle ground somewhere here.

There are plenty of situations in life where trained muscle response
is derived from a particular set of logical conditions. The chain of
command by which this is achieved is of no concern to most.
RJB

>I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to give a science lesson. Of course the
>muscles don't literally have a memory. I was trying to point to
>something real using imprecise language. I thought a bunch of
>singers would be likely to understand what I was referring to. I
>find it aggravating that the actual point of my post is completely
>ignored but the technical/semantic error is picked apart. Bravo,
>you're educated about neurological bases of motor function. Can we
>talk about what I was actually referring to? Thanks.
>
>Karena

emusic.com