Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cosi Fan Tutti, The Cat's Castle" <palace@g...>
Date:  Tue Jul 30, 2002  4:06 am
Subject:  Things are happening

Welcome back Karen. It sounds as if you are very busy these days. It's
fantastic that you have a vast repetoire of music. I also really love the
earlier music, especially Baroque.
My previous post was about my new voice teacher. Well, I was trained on and off
the past 3 years as a mezzo-soprano and that is how have been singing and it was
very easy for me. My new voice teacher upon our first lesson, his name is Bill,
said that I am a soprano but not a mezzo, which doesn't surprise me a bit. I
am inclined to loftier notes and arias which require coloratura work. However,
I wasn't exactly using proper breath contol for soprano so I am at this place in
my singing where I am "pushing out" from my tummy area, if you know what I am
saying. I find this easy although it's not so easy to contol the breath with
this yet. I am a bit confused because I feel like I have more that one voice.
I haven't used my soprano voice since I studied 4-5 years ago, when I pursued
Opera at Stanford I was a mezzo. BIll is a really good teacher, I notice.
Well....That's what happened last week. I have another lesson on Thursday and 3
hours of practice each day with my coach. Chow!
Julie

emusic.com