Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue May 30, 2000  4:34 am
Subject:  TECH: Falsetto WAS:American School of Countertenors

Mary Beth Felker-Osborn wrote:
> In regards to the physical differences between chest, mix, head and
> falsetto. From my training, I believe you are right on. In falsetto, the true
> cords are no longer closing completely and vibrate in a similar fashion to
> the way one would get the harmonics on a guitar. In fact, I believe the
> false cords ( ventricular folds) are doing the vibrating and not the true
> cords, hence the name falsetto. And again, it is not a firm adduction.

Hi Mary Beth,

First off let me say that I am a big fan of what I have heard so far of
SLS. That said, there is one funny thing, however, that I've heard more
than once from people in the SLS school. It is the notion that falsetto
is based in nodal harmonic action in the vocal cords or in the false
cords. I may be wrong, but I believe this is a misconception. There is
not enough longitudinal symmetry in the vocal cords to allow nodal
harmonics. Also, while the false cords may vibrate in sympathy to the
phonated pitch, the source vibration occurs in the cords themselves.

-Tako Oda

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
1972 Re: TECH: Falsetto WAS:American School of Counte michael.chesebro   Tue  5/30/2000   3 KB
1973 Re: TECH: Falsetto WAS:American School of Counte Domisosing@a...   Tue  5/30/2000   2 KB

emusic.com