Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tia Pickeral <brightmans@y...>
Date:  Wed Jun 12, 2002  6:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] American Idol Sort of Long

Dear Vocalists:
I gave in to my baser tastes and watched American
Idol. As far as the judges are concerned, I can live
with Paula Abdul and the U.S. record executive as a
judge. As a pop artist, Paula Abdul knows what the
expectations are and can give some insight into image
and look, not necessarily voice, b/c she was never a
great singer. She is more of an entertainer,which
still gives her some validity.
The US record executive is in the business of scouting
for new talent, so he is a valid selection.
My BIG complaint is the British, record executive. I
believe he was intentionally over-the-top, because he
knew that it would bring in ratings.
I may be biased, but I sort of hold this type of
audition in less esteem, because in reality, they're
manufacturing an entertainer(Spice Girls, O-Town).
SOME of the people had talent, but the judges admitted
that they did take into consideration the image of the
audtionee.
As far as the auditionees are concerned, I have
never seen such a big pool of non-talent in my life.
I'll highlight some of my favorites:
- The guy who croaked out Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody
I believe Freddie Mercury is rolling over in his
grave as we speak.
- When confronted with the fact that she did not sing
any right notes, the contestant who replied, "I wasn't
trying to sing the correct notes!"

- The sad rendition of Lady Marmalade, the U.K. judge
advised the girl to get a lawyer and sue.

- Last, but not least the girl who kept missing the
auditions and follwed the tour by Greyhound. When she
was able to audition in Miami, she informs them that
she has not prepared a song, but will sing "whatever
God puts into her mouth." She comes up with her own
song which consisted of the following line "I woke up
this morning and I was so nervous."

Even though the U.K. judge was brutal, I am glad I
watched it because, it validated my belief that true
singers are lacking and a lot of the "music" we're
presented with is some executive's idea of good music.

On the same note, I also forced myself to watch Kelly
Osbourne's rendition of Madonna's "Pappa Don't
Preach". I personally like Madonna,because she finds
songs that fit her limited range and she does them
well. I think she realizes that she is more of an
entertainer, thus her shows all around are good
entertainment. With that said, "Pappa Don't Preach" is
not a difficult song, yet Kelly Osbourne has found a
way to mess it up! The girl lacks any vocal prowess at
all, yet she says, she'll have a record done by
summer's end.

What a world!
Tia

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com