Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun Jun 2, 2002  12:47 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] singing and acting

omtara wrote:

> This causes me to think there must be some kind of middle ground
> where you are in character, but are still mainly focused on singing
> correctly. Is this how it feels to you? Any hints or insights? Much
> appreciated!

I've found that I need to "work" music into my voice, very
painstakingly. It takes a lot longer than just learning the
notes and rhythms and words - correct diction for singing,
though, is a big piece of it. And in my case, it does not
happen quickly. But when the music is worked into my voice,
then I don't have to think much about technical issues, and
I feel able to be expressive. (But there's always a little
undercurrent of technique awareness.)

When I do this well, my expressiveness is not just in the
"acting" sense, but also in the musical sense. It is very
gratifying to sing a musical phrase exactly the way I want
to sing it. Crescendo, decrescendo, pure legato, perfect
staccato, all the breath I need. When the composer has
written good music, and I've made good artistic choices, the
purely musical expressivity gets to the audience as much or
more than whatever emoting I might think I'm doing.

So keep working on the technique - and take your time by
working the music into your voice, and you'll be so much
more expressive than you were before you got your technique
going.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
19240 Annie AuditionDolphin aura   Sun  6/2/2002
19258 Re: Annie AuditionKaren Mercedes   Mon  6/3/2002
19260 Question about going to Graduate SchoolDolphin aura   Mon  6/3/2002
19282 Re: Question about going to Graduate Schoolsnide76258   Wed  6/5/2002
19241 Your "Big Break"Dolphin aura   Sun  6/2/2002

emusic.com