Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Fri May 26, 2000  8:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] American School of Countertenors WAS: David Daniels,...

I don't think Daniels sounds like a woman, except in as much as he has a
high singing voice. I think he has a unique enough approach to his art that
I, for one, am glad he has the opportunity to present it. The high soprano
sound in Handel's time and before answered a need for that kind of sound,
perhaps not unlike the quasi-countertenor of 1980s Heavy Metal, and Handel
wrote Giulio Cesare with that in mind. It is very powerful music, and it's
the kind of sound Handel had in mind.
While I'm glad you felt able to express yourself on these subjects in this
forum, I was very tempted to make a 'kill file'. john

At 01:36 PM 5/26/00 -0400, you wrote:
... Or
>have I misread the use of counter tenors ? I don't particularly care for
>David
>Daniels. I think that there are too many real women that sound better. Why
>should
> a sopranoish sound be coming out of the mouth of Caesar ? ...
John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

emusic.com