Vocalist.org archive

From:  Milena Sertich Grubor <mgrubor@u...>
Date:  Fri Apr 26, 2002  12:49 am
Subject:  When to Say No and How

Hello, I need some advice. Some of you may remember that I emailed the
list about being a soprano singing Evita. Let me back up a bit...I got the
role, then developed a terrible case of strep throat, was on antibiotics
for weeks, and had numerous obligatory singing engagements including four
nights of
opera scenes ina row, understudying a role and designing hair and
makeup for the same show and auditioning for the university opera with the
most challenging music I have ever brought to performance level and sang a
song cycle in a friends recital all in the span of two weeks, still
battling the strep throat. If that doesn't sound like a vocal nightmare,
I don't know what does. Take a breath. On top of this I have had finals
and (big surprise) vocal fatigue. I have been trying to take evita
rehearsals easy, had one sing through which left me pretty tired the next
day...but I find that 1. I haven't had enough time to recover from illness
and overuse, 2. the role is very demanding and uses a lot of chest, as i
am classically trained i am not used to musical theater style and haven't
had adequate time to work the music into my voice
3. i'm mentally frustrated by all this and am really worried that the role
is too much for me. The whole show rides on Evita and Che and I have no
understudy.

Questions 1. Do I quit the show and try to fully recover? We have six
weeks rehearsal left, we've been rehearsing for four weeks, there are a
handful of women in the show who could sing the role if needed, and would
probably like to. I'm so worried that I am considering this option.
2. Do I ask if they can at least get someone to understudy the role in
case my voice does not pull through this tough time?
3. Do I try and rest as much as possible, rehearsing music silently and
marking at rehearsals? Then hope for full recovery and results by
showtime?
4. How do I do any of these things without looking like a
diva/crazy/overreacting?

Basically I'm worried that I am going to do potential damage if I push,
and worried that I've already done damage.

My voice sounds good when I sing, my voice teacher doesn't hea anything
that worries her, has asked me if it takes more effort to sing, and it
doesn't, it's just afterwards, or the next day, my voice feels tired,
sore...also the muscles around my throat feel kind of sore, esp. the right
side, even to the roof of my mouth..this too seems weird. I couldn't get
an otolaryngologist appointment until may 1st.

Okay, sorry for blabbering all my problems, but if anyone has some advice,
this is worrying me...do I just say no more singing for a while? Has
anyone had to makea desicion like quitting in the middle of a show like
this?

Thanks, Milena

emusic.com