Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Mon Apr 22, 2002  7:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Weird audition?

>The show is THE SOUND OF MUSIC, and typical of many musical theatre
>audition notices, the ad for the audition states "no songs from the show".
>No big deal there. But then the ad went on to read: "Music will be
>supplied."
>
>>But if I'm wrong, and what they really want to do is judge performers
>based on a musical "cold reading", I'm trying to imagine what the heck such
>a display of sight-reading ability will possibly show a director about the
>singer's capabilities?
>
>Just wondered, is this approach to auditions as bizarre as it sounds to me?
>Or is the fact that I've never come across this particular approach before
>just an indication of my own limited experience?
>
>Karen Mercedes

I have had auditions like that. HOWEVER, these were for professional (or
professional-grade) choirs, in which the director wanted to assess the
auditioner's musical and sight-reading ability. It's possible that the
music director for this SOM wants cast members who can learn the music
quickly and well.

FYI, a Bay Area company that has "Sound of Music" on for next season is
asking auditioners to sing Rodgers and Hammerstein, but no songs from the
show.

Elizabeth Finkler
San Jose, California
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo
"This would be a better world for children if the parents had to eat the
spinach." --Groucho Marx