Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <rossicaio@h...>
Date:  Mon Apr 8, 2002  4:32 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] nasal consonants as 'head voice' triggers (NOT!)

cAIO:>> Because they and/or their teachers don't know it's supposed to be a
"crutch"
> only, not the target.
Mike:>because sensation in the sinuses can be experienced in a variety of
situations that do not call for 'head voice' (i find it useful in getting
low notes to sound, for example)<

And did I say otherwise????

> and because there are language sounds where a nasal sensation is less
likely, while the use of 'head voice' is required, this isn't much of a
crutch.<

And where did I say head voice necessarily brings a nasal sensation? You're
not reading what I write, you reading what you THINK I'm writing.

I'll repeat what I meant: experience shows that nasal sounds help DEVELOP
head voice. I never said nasal sounds ARE head voice, that head voice FEELS
necessarily NASAL, and that everytime a person needs to sing in head voice,
he's got to go nasal! I just said that an incredible amount of people have
developed head voice by using nasal sounds (that has worked so well that
many people assume their head voice HAS GOT TO BE nasal, something I SAID
was a mistake!) and that must have an explanation. As you don't have an
explanation, you just deny the evidences. I don't.

>the post that started this controversy was from a woman who thought she
wasn't singing in 'head voice' because she did not have the sensations she
was expected to look for.<

Followed by my post saying that nasal sound vibrations are AIR FRICTION IN
THE NASAL CAVITY and head voice vibrations in the nasal area are RESONANCE.
I never said she was right, but that doesn't mean nasal sounds can't lead to
the development of head voice.

The only explanation I can figure out - just like when I started being able
to trill my Rs by singing along with a Portuguese singer, instead of just
trying to... trill my Rs - is that there's something going in the nervous
system ( brain included ) that is being played a trick on. Can you explain
why I couldn't hold a trilled R before I sang along with that singer? The
exercises my speech therapist had prescribed were of the same nature
R-trilling attempts ). There was no mechanical difference, only
psychological ( it was not just a trilled R then, it was the Portuguese
accent in a song! ). The simple physical description of the movements
involved can't explain the effectiveness of each practice, as they're the
same movement. Likewise, it's pointless to insist on the V-port movement and
its unrelatedness with head voice.

Hugs,

Caio

emusic.com