Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Mar 31, 2002  2:12 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] how do you define 'head voice'?

In a message dated 3/30/2002 7:50:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
deanmacy@a... writes:

> I don't think a discussion of "head voice" is really necessary. If you want
> know the in's and out's of head voice vs chest voice I would suggest you
> read
> Lloyd Hanson's dissertation on it at
> http://chanteur.net/contribu/cLHfalse.htm
> (chanteur.net/contribu/cLHfalse.htm). It tells all.

dean,

unfortunately, in the article, lloyd seems to lay a foundation that
might contradict his own claims about male pop singers not using head voice,
at least, in the past 35 years. also, i have to wonder how he would define
the voice used by most counter-tenors. while someone like david daniels
would clearly be singing in head voice all the time, by lloyd's definition, i
would call it falsetto. not that i would disagree with lloyd's description
of what was going on, just the label.

in a post on sun 3/10, lloyd stated that almost all pop music sung by
males in the past forty years, was sung in either chest or falsetto. in the
files section of groups home for vocalist-temporary, there is a file called
'cornell, perry, bolton' which would illustrate otherwise. in addition,
there are the very well known examples of paul mccartney, stevie wonder,
maurice white, roy orbison, eric carmen, etc.

i am under the impression that there are some voice scientists who
consider the determination of head voice to be based on acoustic properties
as well as vocal fold behavior. this would seem to make a far more specific
definition of head voice.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18365 Re: how do you define 'head voice'?Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  3/31/2002
18372 Re: how do you define 'head voice'?thomas mark montgomery   Sun  3/31/2002
21316 to: Mark Montgomery WAY BELATED REPLY RE: how do you define 'head voTako Oda takooda Fri  12/6/2002
21317 Files, was Re: to: Mark Montgomery WAY BELATEDMichael chosdad Fri  12/6/2002
21318 Help finding Schubert sheet music, Bax recordingKaren Mercedes singwiththespirit Fri  12/6/2002

emusic.com