Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Tue Feb 26, 2002  11:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Emotional hiccups

In a message dated 2/26/02 6:04:29 PM, johnlink@n... writes:

>I am going to try to visualize a comic scene -- to
>take my mind off the heavy moments.

<< Deb, why would you plan to do such a thing? I know, to take your mind
off the heavy moments. Personally, if I thought that I had to occupy
myself wth such irrelevancy during a performance I wouldn't go
through with it. >>

I agree that an unrelated comic scene might be an inappropriate thing to
visualize.

However, my very wise and wonderful former teacher told me that there is
always an element of joy, even in the saddest song, and vice versa.

Might there not be an element of joy, albeit mixed with tears, that colors
the character's thoughts? Would he think of scenes of his youth in
springtime? The thrill of first love? The innocence of youth? The beauty and
fragrance of the flowers? How can these thoughts not bring a kind of joy? If
not, then why does the character want to live? (I'm assuming that he does).

Judy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17675 Re: Emotional hiccupsErica Zweig   Wed  2/27/2002

emusic.com