Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Sun Feb 3, 2002  9:44 pm
Subject:  consonants & lips

My teacher made the comment to me last week that one of my biggest problems
is consonants. Why is this? I can sing anything , very high, very round and
very easily as long as there are no consonants involved. I have some jaw
tension but not really a lot-actually I have overcome a LOT of jaw tension in
the past 2 years, but I wonder if this is still the problem or if there is
something else. I do a lot of vowel work with my literature, going back and
forth from vowels to the complete word, but this remains a big bugaboo with
me.

Also, my voice tends to have too much "brilliance" (isn't that a nice way of
putting it?) so that I need to add lower partials to warm up my
sound-especially in the upper register. One way I can effect this is to
"pout" my lips and round the inside of my mouth (at least that is how it
feels to me...). I worry that there is tension in my lips, but I like the
sound.......so is this bad? The lips are quite a way from the actual cords,
so if there is tension that far north of the cords is it dangerous? Maybe
this really isn't a problem, but my teacher encourages me to pout the lips
*without* tension and I can't seem to get them out there without feeling a
little something in the lips. I hope I am making sense. The weather in
Alabama is really crappy today and somehow I cannot think...............:-)

Thanks,
Leslie

emusic.com