Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Wed May 17, 2000  10:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Clown songs

In a message dated 05/17/2000 4:14:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
michaelb@y... writes:

<< Make 'Em Laugh - sung by Donald O'Connor (in Singing In The Rain? - for
sure in That's Entertainment - by the way, the "mother" of all comedy
tunes and/or performances, in my opinion...) >>

Basically "Make 'em laugh" IS "Be a clown". I read in a book about movie
musicals that they asked the composer for a song similar to "Be a clown" in
style and intent - and the composer practically plagiarized the tune!!
Fortunately, the original composer (Irving Berlin?) was gracious and didn't
make a fuss...

Christine Thomas
Mezzo-Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com