Vocalist.org archive

From:  Erica Zweig <ezweig@e...>
Date:  Sun Jan 20, 2002  5:54 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] image

This has been a very interesting thread, indeed. What a lot of strong
opinions exist. Practically a unique angle for each of our replies,
even as we all seem to have a mutual understanding of the points Lea Ann
has raised.

So then, it seems, just as in our singing, that interpretation is the
bottom line. We are constantly interpreting not merely our musical
roles, our vocal abilities, but our perceptions about the musical world
in which we are involved and the niche we carve for ourselves.

Debra Voigt may be too heavy in Solti's eyes. So what? Had she
accepted the Hollywood-only construct, she wouldn't be a force about
whom he could be so ungalantly judgmental. Did he really think he was
telling her something she hadn't already considered many times over?!
On the other hand, maybe she appreciated hearing it. Who knows.

It seems the only way any of us can be the best US we can be, to
paraphrase PJ, is to try to hold our own in that vast sea of 'isms and
opinions and shoulds and right-thinkers and wrong-thinkers OUT THERE,
all of which seem to both make perfectly good sense one moment and be at
cross-purposes simultaneously--and make up our own, individual minds
about how we best interpret it all and hope we can ride the wave instead
of get pulled in with the undertow! No doubt, we could "compare" two
singers who have "made it" and yet the one may appear the antithesis of
the other. If a Debra Voigt and a Frederica von Stade stood side by
side, one heavy, the other thin, what interpretations then should we
make? One always hopes that they will be the one to break the mold of
whatever is the going status quo. And this one hopes that it includes
whatever is the magical combination which results in the best one has to
offer so that the audience responds and wants more.

I once heard Pavarotti say that being a professional opera singer was
not merely having a wonderful instrument, but a combination of many
things on many fronts.

So to all of us--put a quarter in and three cherries across--for us all!!

emusic.com