Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Jan 18, 2002  2:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Charlotte

In a message dated 1/18/2002 9:23:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
caiorossi@t... writes:

<<
>It's like when I tell people I'm an opera singer and I get comments like
"Oh how wonderful! So can you sing that song from Phantom?" ARGHHHHHH.<

But she sings OPERA repertoire too, doesn't she? >>

just because aaron copeland wrote 'rodeo', it doesn't make him a horse.
i remain horrified by my memory of joan sutherland and marilyn horne singing
a beatles song in the early 70s on the tonight show. i certainly wouldn't
call them 'pop' singers. actually, i like ian's idea of calling everybody
just 'singer' and, let everyone sing whatever they want, however they want.

there may be an additional objection to the use of the term 'opera
singer'. there may be a notion that the term connotes a special status and
it may be preferable to exclude little ms. church from this consideration.

mike

emusic.com