Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caiorossi@t...>
Date:  Wed Jan 9, 2002  2:23 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Celebrity and Mortality

Karen:
>All critical faculties are, by definition,
> subjective. Indeed, objective reality may exist, but it is beyond the
> human cognitive capacity to perceive it.

Karen, the kantian.

>Indeed, total objectivity is
> completely outside realm of human experience.

How do you know that?

Our perceptions - sight,
> hearing, taste, smell, touch - are all unique; yes, they may be extremely
> similar to the perceptions of others (thus, the collective ability of a
> society to recognize red traffic lights vs. green ones). But there are
> minute differences in exactly how each set of eyes perceives that color
> red or green.

How do you know that?

>And because of that, the objective existence of "green" is
> impossible to prove; only the subjective existence of "the green I see"
> and "the color most people recognize to be green".

Can you prove the "subjective existence" of the green you see?

>The fact that some "positives" are stronger than others, some
> "negatives" are stronger than others is, in fact, what creates this
> "elitist hierarchy of tastes" you decry. But that hierarchy of tastes is
> NOT elitist; it's just a fact of life. The fact that you feel threatened
> by the existence of such a hierarchy, and as a result of that insecurity
> choose to label it "elitist", is not an accurate indicator that it *is*
> elitist - only that you need to get over the fact that some people don't
> share your particular hierarchy of tastes.

Karen, haven't you noticed that all you've just said is contradictory? I know it
has become standard and PC nowadays to think like that, but it doesn't make
sense to say that Mike is not supposed to do something when you say that
hierarchies are subjective and can only be so. You have to respect Mike's mood
at the moment: if he's willing to listen to the Sex Pistols and deny any
"elitist" notion now, as your own discourse obliges you to do it ( I mean, if
you're willing to it too! ). BTW, a great article on that issue here:
http://www.olavodecarvalho.org/traducoes/truth.htm ).

But the funniest thing here is that Mike doesn't seem to know his viewpoint is
the literal expression of the academia's today, the elite that refuses to
identify itself as such. Mike, are you sure you're not elitist yourself?

Best wishes,

Caio

emusic.com