Vocalist.org archive

From:  l.s.mountford@a...
Date:  Tue Jan 8, 2002  10:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Celebrity and Mortality

Ciao Rossi wrote:

> But most people who like the Beatles generally want
> YOU to justify why you don't share their NON-rational
> taste ( and I don't believe taste is something
> rational either ). So I just echo their question,
> sometimes get answers similar to yours, make those
> considerations I've just made and 9 out of 10 times I
> hear this final conclusion: "But YOU can't impose YOUR
> taste on others!". I wonder if that's not a sign that
> you'll really hear demonic msgs if you play Sargent
> Peppers backward! hehe Now, isn't that a zombie-like
> behavior, like that of a Reverend Moon's disciple?
>
> But now imagine your 12-year-old niece ( supposing you
> have one! hehe ) saying: "What, you don't like
> Backstreet Boys?". SHE PROBABLY WOULDN'T , but
> something in the mind of most people who like the
> Beatles makes them think it's IMpossible not to like
> them!

Hey, you set up this strawman -- don't ask others to do
your work for you. If you want to shoot it down, be my
guest. What you refer to as "Most people ..." and "Some
people ... " isn't me, or Chris, or Mike, or Randy. No
one here is asking you to justify your dislike of the
Beatles. Yet you're asking everyone who responds to
justify their attraction, and then attempting
to "disprove" or somehow invalidate their responses
because somehow they're not "convincing" to you. Tough
noogies, pal. You don't like the Beatles? Don't listen
to them. That's not so hard, now, is it?

I like the Beatles. I'm not asking anyone else to like
them. I don't necessarily *expect* anyone else to like
them. Others have given you their reasons for liking
them. If you don't share their (or my) tastes, so
what? It's no skin off my nose if you do or don't like
the Beatles.

Doesn't make you any better than me or me any better
than you. It doesn't make your favorite group any
better than my favorite group. It's simply a matter of
taste.

You seem to be bothered by the fact that a lot of people
share a particular view about the Beatles. My advice:
get over it. There will always be people whose tastes
differ from yours. In the grand scheme of things, it's
really not a big deal unless you want to make it one.

Cheers!

Lana (who likes the Beatles, doesn't like the Rolling
Stones, likes Barry Manilow, doesn't like Andrea
Bocelli, and who doesn't feel the need to justify *any*
of this) :-)

emusic.com