Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "sszymanski27514" <szy@n...>
"sszymanski27514" <szy@n...>
Date:  Mon Dec 10, 2001  8:05 pm
Subject:  re: head voice and vibrato

Lea Ann:
Lots of things I'd like to say to you, but first and foremost, you
are not too old, or lacking in ability, you simply are, as you put
it, a novice, and your body doesn't yet know how to do the things you
are asking of it. You absolutely can be taught these things by a
knowledgeable and patient teacher.
You need good basic techical instruction to begin, working on
BREATHING, BREATHING, BREATHING, first ( including coordinated onset,
which was so aptly described by Lloyd in a previous post), and then
learning to access your upper register (sort of going where you've
never gone before!) This work will result in an appropriate, natural,
organic production (and, consequently, a natural vibrato) and you
will find singing much easier and enjoyable.
A few other thoughts: I seldom start a "novice", even a talented
adult one, with "operatic" repertoire - keep it simple at first so
that your body doesn't invent all sorts of compensatory tensions and
tricks to handle the rep. Regarding head register: try "speaking"
sorts of exercises, making noises like sirens, or, my favorite,
the "ghostie" up in a COMFORTABLY high speaking range. This often
shows your body where it needs to go to access the high sung tones.
I have worked with many singers, male and female, who had
registration challenges, and have NEVER failed to help them discover
this part of the voice (although it can take more than 2 months!).
One last thought: you mention practicing for two hours per day.
Please be careful that you are not overdoing it, or spending time in
fruitless vocalism. Have your teacher pinpoint some specific goals,
then select exercises for achieving these goals, then practice them
with a clear idea of the aim in mind, perhaps for a shorter length of
time, but several times a day. Repetition is the key to building
muscle memory and coordination.

You may want to discuss your concerns with your teacher honestly
before meeting with someone else; many teachers will not want to
meet with you while you are with another instructor, as it crosses
some ethical lines. If it seems that the two of you cannot reach
some mutual plan, then it may be better to move on to another teacher.

Hope this helps!
Sharon Szymanski

The Szymanski Studio - "encouraging excellence in the vocal arts"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
15878 Re: head voice and vibrato Lea Ann   Mon  12/10/2001   3 KB
15887 Re: head voice and vibrato Mezzoid@a...   Tue  12/11/2001   2 KB
15892 Re: head voice and vibrato Lea Ann   Tue  12/11/2001   2 KB
15893 Re: head voice and vibrato Sharon Szymanski   Tue  12/11/2001   4 KB

emusic.com