Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Dec 8, 2001  9:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Competition art song

Terry Mitchell wrote:

> Peggy - we did Hansel and Gretel as an operetta in my school (K-12
> participated) when I was in - grade school (second grade, I think). > Mostly I
remember the colorful costume and dancing in a circle while > singing on
stage. My first intro to the stage and I loved it.
> Anyway, for next semester we are to consider something from musical
> theater and I wondered if this part would be one to consider.

Hansel and Gretel is a full-blown opera in the Wagnerian
mode, though a lot shorter. The roles of Hansel and Gretel
are designed to be sung by adult opera singers. However,
Humperdinck had the children sometimes singing folk-like
tunes, which work very nicely sung by children. I sang
those tunes myself as a child in English. But I don't think
Hansel and Gretel would be considered "musical theater"
unless opera is in that category for your purpose.

<<Peggy - do you know if it would be possible to purchase
that score anywhere? If you could give me any information
on the music I'd be willing to try and find it - of course,
always open to suggestion. I'm a mezzo. Terry>>

A Hansel and Gretel score is very easy to come by.
Schirmer's publishes a piano-vocal score with the Ruth and
Thomas Martin translation. It's performed a lot, so a good
classical sheet music store should have or be able to easily
get it for you.

If you were referring to Help, Help the Globolinks - that is
also an opera, and I'm pretty sure a score is easily ordered
through a music store.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...