Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Dec 3, 2001  7:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] MESSIAH question

On Mon, 3 Dec 2001 leskayc@a... wrote:

> However, in rehearsal last week I (goofing off while the tenors took a
> chewing) was reading the preface of the Watkins Shaw edition and noticed on
> one page where it says "words selected from Holy Scripture by Charles
> Jennens." Now I know Handel did not write this in English, but are the
> scripture passages that we sing the same ones that Handel used? Or am I
> totally confused and did he only write this music and someone else put the
> words to it?

Charles Jennens was Handel's friend, and it was he who persuaded Handel to
write an oratorio setting a compilation of scripture texts collected and
arranged by Jennens himself. In characteristic fashion, Handel - once he
agreed to take on the project - composed the entire work in 24 hours,
distributed across the 3 weeks from 22 August to 14 September 1741.

So the Jennens libretto was always the original one.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
Verdi and Wagner delighted the crowds
With their highly original sound.
The pianos they played are still working,
But they're both six feet underground.
- Michael Palin

emusic.com