Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Jennifer Sherley <voiceslp@y...>
Jennifer Sherley <voiceslp@y...>
Date:  Sun Nov 25, 2001  1:55 am
Subject:  Allow me to introduce myself...

Hello listers,
I've just joined this list and I'd like to introduce
myself. I'm a 1st-year graduate student pursuing a
Master's in speech pathology at Univ. of Iowa. I have
a very strong interest in voice habilitation and
rehabilitation (including the subspecialty of care of
the professional voice) as well as a well-developed
avocation in classical singing. I've come to this
career after a few years of bumping around in the
world, so, at 30 years old, I'm on the older side of
the average age for this group of master's students.
My first undergraduate degree was in music (piano
performance) which I quite enjoyed, but never
seriously planned to pursue as a paying career.
Immediately after dropping the piano studies, I picked
up private singing lessons and joined a few choirs in
my old stomping grounds of Seattle, Washington. After
a few years, I was lucky to figure out how to put
together various interests and talents (such as
psycholinguistics, voice, desire for "meaning" in
work) into a profession, and here I am in Iowa trying
to make it happen.

I'm very lucky to be taking a class this semester with
Dr. Ingo Titze called the Principles of Voice
Production. I think most folks on this list may have
come across his name as an eminent voice scientist.
If anyone has any voice science questions, it will be
an excellent test of my education to see if I can
reply accurately! I'm also studying voice disorders
and taking private voice lessons through the school of
music. The voice-related classes will continue
throughout the master's program. I'm slowly settling
on a thesis topic which will, naturally, focus on some
aspect of voice. If I can come up with something
cool, I'll share it. :)

I look forward to reading the interesting postings.

Best regards,
Jennifer Sherley

P.S. My list name is to be understood as VoiceSLP
(not voiceslp) as in, a speech & language pathologist,
SLP, with an interest in voice. :)

15499 Re: Allow me to introduce myself... Vicki Bryant   Sun  11/25/2001   2 KB

emusic.com