Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Thu Nov 15, 2001  6:57 pm
Subject:  re: Bel canto competition

>in my rep, I have:
>"dove sono" and "porgi amor" , "come scoglio"- Mozart
>
>" donde lieta" "si, mi chiamano Mimi", "senza mamma", " signore, ascolta",
>"sola, perduta abbondonata"- Puccini
>
>"Voi lo sapete"- Mascagni
>
>Songs:
>
>"Perduta ho la speranza", "tregua non ho", " cuor mio, non vedi" -Donuady
>
>" Mi voglio fa' na casa" - Donizetti
>
>" la danza" " l'esule" "Aragonese"- Rossini
>
>"Ideale", "Aprile", "Tormento" , "Sogno"- Tosti

Molly, see what you can learn about the repertoire choices of previous
finalists and winners. I personally would want to hear some Mozart among
all the bel canto because it would reveal technical truths, but in a
competition that focuses on bel canto, I might be barking up the wrong
tree.

So, if my bias is ok, I recommend singing "Come scoglio," "Donde lieta,"
"La Danza," and a more legato Italian song. (Sorry, I'm not familiar with
all the songs you list.) My thinking is to show as much variety as
possible, both technical and stylistically.

If the past finalists all sang bel canto exclusively, consider doing
Mascagni and Puccini for your arias, so that you're showing yourself in the
broadest variety possible.

Break a leg!
Naomi

emusic.com