Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Wed Nov 14, 2001  5:46 pm
Subject:  Re: pay scale and song suggestions

I agree on the rate issue. You set your own rate, and
if you start out too low, you could be shoooting
yourself in the foot (if the organization refers
anyone to you, they will expect the same rate, etc.)
However, you do not want to price yourself out of the
gig if you want the exposure.

I suggest you charge for the amount of singing (and
playing for the pianist) you will be doing, not per
event. If the organization thinks your rate is high,
explain to them that you charge this way and suggest
maybe cutting down the program a bit in order to keep
within their budget. Perhaps you could do EITHER
before or after the meeting, not both. That is what
is more common anyway. I would not recommend being a
part of the background music - leave this to the
pianist. Trust me - after working as a strolling
singer at an Italian restaurant I learned - it is
uncomfortable for both singer and audience unless the
focus is on the singing - people do not like to eat
and listen - they will feel torn between you, their
meal, and any conversation at the table.

For holiday music, there is PLENTY of non-religious
stuff, like the ones others have mentioned. I would
suggest sticking to these to make everyone in your
audience happy - they'll like you better for it. Or
at least include a Chanukah song as well. There is so
much well-known non-religious stuff out there that no
one will notice.

The twelve days after christmas would be wonderful -
although it mentions xmas it is not religious and very
funny!

jingle bells
chestnuts roasting
sleigh ride
winter wonderland
santa songs - there are bunches!
frosty the snowman
deck the halls
auld lang syne
happy holidays
velvet shoes
the grinch song (from the cartoon)
jingle bell rock
let it snow
bring a torch, jeanette, isabella
I saw mommy kissing santa claus
jingle bell rock
most wonderful time of the year
rudolph

inspirational music -
You'll never walk alone
To dream the impossible dream
One moment in time
Wind beneath my wings
This is the moment (Jekyll & Hyde)

Those are just off the top of my head. Some may have
a passing reference to Christmas but they are not
religious in nature.

Please let us know how this plays out!!!