Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Tue Nov 13, 2001  11:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Appriopriate Gig Material and Pay Scale????

>I've just been contacted to sing at a Holiday party
>for a small businessmen's club. I was told that I
>could do a few Christmas songs, but not too many
>because there are members of religions other than
>Christian. The want me to sing for 1- 1 1/2 hours and
>provide dinner background music and then continue
>singing when they are finished.

Do they want you to SING during dinner as background music? My view
is that live vocal music can't stay in the background. I suggest you
offer to have your pianist play solo during dinner and then you sing
after dinner.

> I don't play the
>piano, so I would have to bring a pianist and they
>have a piano available. Now, my question is what
>other sort of thing is appriopriate for background
>music

Standards: Misty, Our Love is Here is to Stay, My Funny Valentine,
Don't Get Around Much Anymore...

>and what should I charge for this thing?

Find a good pianist who does this all the time and ask him what he
would charge to do the gig with you. Then quote a total price to the
club that is twice that (even if you don't sing during dinner).

Congratulations, and good luck!
John Link

P.S. Be sure that they have the piano tuned.

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais

emusic.com