Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Nov 9, 2001  8:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] obsecure arias?

Not only is it okay to have one out of the five be "obscure", I think it
can be an asset. There are some music directors out there who prefer
obscure music. I can think of one in particular in D.C. He was delighted
to have me sing my aria from Rimsky-Korsakov's SADKO - which may not be
obscure if you're an alto in Moscow, but is not exactly a "standard" here
in the U.S. As long as you do that "lesser known" aria extremely well -
i.e., to justify using it instead of something better known - and as long
as the rest of your audition package is fairly mainstream - I'd say
definitely go for it.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

---
Hillaire Belloc's flawed but insightful essay on Islam:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/HOMELIBR/HERESY4.TXT

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsyl., 1759

emusic.com