Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Fri Oct 26, 2001  10:02 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Operatic Baby Names

I suggest using Kobbe's book on opera as a starting point. Once you've
collected names, you can then use standard Italian, French, German,
Russian, English, Czech, etc. "Baby Names" dictionaries to determine their
meanings (if any).

My question is this: Would "Hoffmann" be a Christian name or Surname in
your dictionary? It's not clear in the opera, though it is derived from
E.T.A. Hoffmann (a surname).

Ditto "Werther" - I've never been sure if that's his Surname or his
Christian name. If the librettist doesn't tell us, is it "kosher" to go
back to the literary source, even though that would render the name
Literary rather than Operatic.

To be honest, it's a cute idea - and more power to you if you really go
through with it. But I think you'll find it's a lot more work than you
initially bargain for.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

---
Hillaire Belloc's flawed but insightful essay on Islam:
http://www.ewtn.com/library/HOMELIBR/HERESY4.TXT

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a
- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsyl., 1759

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
14951 Re: Operatic Baby NamesDeal Diva Laura   Sat  10/27/2001

emusic.com