Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Thu Oct 18, 2001  7:29 pm
Subject:  Realistic teaching job expectations

First, I really appreciate you taking the time to read
this lengthy post!

For all of you who are in the academic world, I could
really use some input!

Some of you may remember my contemplation of a career
change some months ago. As I partially suspected it
would be, it was a very valuable experiment in that I
learned that I cannot stand life without teaching
voice, even though the money in the miserable business
world is greater! Please refrain from the "I told you
so"s.

So now, as I plan the rest of my life (ha ha), I
thought some advice would be nice.

Here's the situation:
I have an MA in pedagogy, which I received under Joan
Wall in 1999. (Anyone bought her new set of ped
books? I'd like to know how they are before I spend
SO MUCH money!) I have taught for six years,
currently as adjunct faculty at a local community
college.

I have found that I really love teaching on the
community college level and am wondering what the
likelihood of acquiring a full-time position would be.
(I know the schools are leaning toward hiring lots of
adjuncts to save money, so no need to advise me of
this.) I am very mobile and would, in fact, welcome
the opportunity to move.

I have NO DESIRE to return to school for a DMA at this
time. At some point I hope I will, but it is NOT NOW!

Also, I am a solid singer, but have no desire to be a
career performer and impress a hiring committee with
my worldwide appearances (which say nothing about my
teaching abilities anyway).

So, all of that said, am I reasonable in hoping to
acquire the type of position I have mentioned? I
have done some research, but do not have enough
information about the positions out there or their
requirements to answer this question on my own.

Thanks to all of you who give me information!!

Feel free to reply privately if you wish!

Melinda