Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Marcia Maia <Marcia.Maia@s...>
Date:  Mon Oct 8, 2001  12:32 pm
Subject:  Why singing in the low register is so difficult?

Hello all,

I am following with a lot of interest the discussion about chest
and head register and also the production of low notes... I would like
to ask the list a question about a problem I have now.
For years, I was considered to be a mezzo-alto because I used to sing
with my voice completely down (in the throat?), which was terribly
tiring. The voice lacked of brilliance and power, but it sounded (to me)
dark and warm. Now I am working on the "center" of my voice and things
are much "better" (less tiring, more power and brilliance... but lack of
darkness) because the sound is more focused. My teacher still cannot say
if I am mezzo or soprano.However, he says that I have no chest voice,
or, at least I understand his comments in this way. I can go down very
low (down to E flat below middle C) still maintaining a "head" voice,
but it lacks power and depth (the center is however still there). Every
time I try to sing in what I think is a "chest" voice, my voice falls
again in the throat (large and unfocused sound), I mean, it looses the
"center".
Could somebody please tell me if it is possible that someaone does not
have a chest voice? Or give me some explanation about this problem? I
admit I am totally lost and maybe this arises from such a dramatic
change in the sounds I produce. I can barely recognise my own voice
because it sounds so clear, bright and lacking of warmth... I is true
that I gained a lot in the upper register!
Maybe I am confused about terms such as head voice, chest voice, chest
register... I cannot really say where my low passage is, although I have
some difficulties around A-A flat above middle C.

Thank you for your help

Marcia

--

Marcia MAIA