Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  "Candace Magner" <magner@l...>
"Candace Magner" <magner@l...>
Date:  Thu Oct 4, 2001  3:43 am
Subject:  Re: Flonase, from Dr. Messmer

Dear Vocalisters, Dr. Messmer asked me to send this along to you, since he
is at a conference and cannot post to the list from the computer there.

Dr. Candace A. Magner
University of New Mexico - Los Alamos Dept of Fine Arts/Music
magner@l...
magner@l...
homepage http://clik.to/candace
- - - - - -
From Dr. Messmer:

May I respectfully suggest that voice teachers qualify their comments to
students about medical problems with the phrase "this is only an opinion
about something I have not been trained; please check with your doctor."

I avoid giving opinions about technical singing questions even though I feel
I have learned a lot on Vocalist and through my own voice lessons since I am
not a teacher. However, I am qualified to comment on medical issues.

Flonase, if used correctly - not inhaled into the pharynx - has no effect
whatsoever on the larynx. If a person has allergic or vasomotor rhinitis,
it can help keep the nasal passages clear and improve airflow and reduce
local reactions. A singer with a congested and watery nasal passage will
likely not sing as well as one with open passages.

Inhaled steroids into the larynx MIGHT be another issue. However, if used
properly, it is a manageable one.

John

John Messmer, M.D., Assistant Professor, Family & Community Medicine, Penn
State College of Medicine

emusic.com