Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  Mezzoid@a...
Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Thu Oct 4, 2001  3:19 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Portamento

In a message dated 10/03/2001 5:27:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
maddy_t11@h... writes:
maddy_t11@h... writes:

<< I do a fair portamento, but nowhere as electrifying as hers. How
does she do it? Or anyone else out there that would consider theirs better
than just fair? Is there any mental image you use? >>

It does shimmer, doesn't it? Personally, I think her best example on that CD
is the one at the end of "Ain't it a pretty night" (I really don't think G&BG
or Summertime are that suited to her). That one is the one I play for my
students when I show them how a large voice can be streamlined down to a
shimmer.

Mine isn't half bad. It involves support support support and for me the
image of "going down the front"... which may not mean anything to you, but it
works for me.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">