Vocalist.org archive

<
From:  lolipastor@a...
Date:  Sat Sep 29, 2001  9:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Feeling some hostility and poster comment (was:{rep} recital and audition Arias)

Hey, Dolphin--

don't worry about the hostility bit. I noticed this at first (I'm new to the
group, too) but I then realized that it is just because everyone here is a
passionate singer! Their answers mirror that personality trait!!!

If it is your teacher who is convincing you that you will be type cast,
please reconsider some of the other opinions. I have many friends who are
african american, and they have played TONS of roles of all sorts. Actually
one friend got into the Houston Opera Studio (very difficult to get in) and
is very successful. This is because of his voice, not what he looks like or
doesn't look like. It is always my hope that we as singers will be hired
because of our singing and acting abilities. I've had to overcome a bit of
typecasting myself. I am 6 feet tall in flat feet, and after many years of
people tsking and saying, "it's too bad you'll never be able to play an
ingenue", I've proved them wrong. If you are the best singer, you will get
the role. PERIOD. Ignore anyone who says otherwise, because they're messed
up.

Lauren

emusic.com