Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
"Wim Ritzerfeld" <w.ritzerfeld@c...>
Date:  Sun Aug 5, 2001  7:21 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Rock aesthetics and singer's formant (to Mike) was: Seth Riggs...

Lloyd,

This is complicated stuff. We could probably start our own news
group we wanted :). I'll keep it brief:

> You state that there is a "very light adduction of the (vocal)
folds"
> in mezza voce "whereby they produce much less higher harmonics" If
> the vocal folds are not adducted completely, the mezza voce quality
> will be breathy. But mezza voice, when correctly done, does not
have
> a breathy component in the tone. I have not heard the example to

I did not mean to imply "incompletely adducted" folds, but
rather 'lightly adducted', with a low closed quotient and low
subglottic pressure.

> Singer's Formant is merely a name given to the phenomenon of a very
> strong amplitude increase in the partial spectrum at about 2800 to
> 3200 Hrz. If that amplitude increase is not present there is, by
> definition, no Singer's Formant. The sound that is created by the

I must disagree here. The singer's formant is by definition an
acoustic property of the vocal tract, not a sound or a partial. If
there are partials that fall within the SF, they are amplified by the
vocal tract. If there are no such partials or if there is no sound at
all, the SF is still "there" since, as I said, it is not a sound but
a property of the vocal tract.

> You state that "In mezza voce the epiglottis is more open than in
> 'normal' singing, so it could be that the SF is less pronounced".
> Can you give me some kind of reference to support the idea that the
> epiglottis is in this position for mezza voce singing? It may be
> obvious but I cannot remember having read that it is so positioned.

I'm sorry but I can't remember where I've read that. I'm sure I did
but I can't recall who wrote it.

Kind regards,

Wim

emusic.com