Vocalist.org archive

From:  Trevor Allen <trevorjamesallen@y...>
Trevor Allen <trevorjamesallen@y...>
Date:  Sat Aug 4, 2001  4:45 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] school-paid accompanist???

Hi,
I pay for my accompanist. We all pay for our
accompanists. There are staff accompanists at school,
which is Baldwin- Wallace College, by the way, and
there are also student accompanists in a collaborative
piano class. If you want one of those students, they
are usually free or a small charge. The staff
pianists charge about $20 and hour, some of which is
payed for by the school, but most of us end up paying
about $200 a semester for juries, lessons,
departmentals and recitals. I've never heard of a
school that gives everyone an accompanist. I suppose
finding your own accompanist makes you realize what
you want out of a collaborator and how much you are
willing to pay for what you want. That's the way it
is in "the real world". No one hands you someone and
says they'll play for you. You've got to go find them
yourself and pay for the services they provide.

Trevor