Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Fri Aug 3, 2001  12:35 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Songs and Intervals

Michael Eckford wrote:

>John Link wrote:
>
>> Michael Eckford wrote:
>>
>> >ascending major 6th:
>> >My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean - 1-6...
>>
>> I beg to disagree about this one. I would call it 5 3, not 1 6.
>
>Hello John,
>
>So, I've been whistling through this, and I would have to conclude that in a
>certain, um, contextual logic of "songs AND intervals", you are indeed
>correct. My numbers refer only to the "width" of the interval itself,
>wherever it may be in the context of the whole song, or, as Homer Simpson
>might say, a movable "doh!"...:o) Sorry, just can't seem to stop the puns
>today...

I pay attention to the harmonic context of intervals (calling "My
Bonnie" 5 3 instead of 1 6) because I want to associate with my
associate repertoire (the term I learned from my former guitar
teacher, Paul Wingo, who probably learned it from Asher Zlotnick) as
much context as possible. My practice probably also implies something
about my view about the significance of tonality.

>Oh, by the way, speaking of tv and major 6ths, is there anybody out there at
>least as old as me who remembers the old "NBC Peacock" theme? "531", in
>"fixed doh" - which I also recall as the opening theme notes for the
>"Gillette Boxing Matches", or whatever they were called in the '50's. Now
>I've dated myself...

NBC is a great way to recall 531! I remember it from TV. Does that
make me old? I'm 47.

John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet