Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Thu Aug 2, 2001  12:24 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Need advice on unpaid gigs...

Hello all.

Re. unpaid work, I think what everyone had to get in
mind here is:

Am I a professional singer?
Am I a professionally trained singer, but doing
another job to pay the mortgage?
Am I a good amateur?

If you're a pro singer, you would only sing in a
chorus, be it musical or opera or choral, if you had a
need to a)pay the bills as that's what you do as a pro
or b)if you're a jobbing singer that hops from show to
show (generally quite a successful move money wise,
but not necessarily artistic wise!)

If you work for Andersons and do a bit of singing on
the side, then you're not a pro, so you've no reason
to expect any money for your 'art'.

If you're an amateur, none of the above apply. Not
because you may not be good, but because you could be
taking work away from a pro (however bad!)

I only take this stance because it all boils down to
my favourite word which is: common sense. If you're a
professional singer who takes a non paid job because
you like the music, or you think it might do you some
good, then clear off out of the profession, 'coz
you're deluded! There is not these days, enough jobs
to go round (like there were 50 years ago) and they
should always go to a pro. It would be churlish to
think otherwise. I'm all in favour of people making
the best of what they have, but you have to be
circumspect. A pro singer is very different from an
amateur, and therein lies this paradox if you will?

13452 Re: Need advice on unpaid gigs... Karen Mercedes   Thu  8/2/2001   3 KB

emusic.com