Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sandra" <sandra@b...>
"Sandra" <sandra@b...>
Date:  Thu Jul 26, 2001  10:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Customs

OK, it's off topic, but since the traffic is slow and the term "doctor" is
being discussed, why not...
recently I was getting contact information for someone off of a university
web site. I was surprised to see "Dr."
next to one person's name because I didn't know them to be a doctor, medical
or academic. Turns out they are "Ph.D A/B/D" Is this some Ph.D. drop-out
trend that I'm not aware of which is becoming acceptable? As far as I know
or am concerned, a "Ph.D. A/B/D" has no right to bill themselves "Dr." or to
put Ph.D. in association with their name. I personally don't even like the
term "Ph.D. A/B/D" (which I see more and more lately). I think "completed
doctoral coursework" is more appropriate. Most disturbing part is that this
was a web-page for an administrative office of a major university. And no,
I don't think it's a case of someone who is actively working on their
dissertation and expecting to have their Ph.D. come through in the near
future. It's the more typical never got around to it and time expired
scenario.

Sandra
"Ph.D. WDHM"

(that's "Wanna be who Didn't Have the Money")

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
13310 Re: Customs Sally Collyer   Thu  7/26/2001   2 KB

emusic.com