Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Mon May 1, 2000  4:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] A very strange concert

In a message dated 05/01/2000 10:21:29 AM Central Daylight Time, Suki writes:

<< Anybody else ever been through this kind of thing? I'm still stunned. >>

At the Washington Opera's final performance of The Aspern Papers (Argento),
the backstage chorus returned to the wings to sing the Act 2 opening chorus
and as we looked at the monitor, we noticed a hubbub in the pit. Finally the
conductor turned to the audience and said, "Is there a doctor in the house?
We have a medical emergency in the pit." One of the violinists had a heart
attack at the very end of intermission. We held the curtain 25 minutes while
he was removed from the pit and tended to by one of the myriad of doctors in
the house at the time before being taken to GW Hospital, where he died.

It was a very strange experience.

Christine Thomas
Mezzo-Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com